Did you know this about the IW Knights of Columbus?
- Earlier this month the Knights of Columbus held its 138th Supreme Convention - virtually. It is customary for the order to publish a number of Resolutions at the beginning of the Convention. Some of the resolutions are perhaps more important than others but in total they provide a sense of the issues which the Order feels are prominent. Over the next several weeks we will highlight a few of them - but since they are two long for this column a link to the entire article can be found below. The first Resolution is entitled "In Honor of Christopher Columbus".
- WHEREAS, in 1492 Christopher Columbus obtained permission and financial support from the King and Queen of Spain to sail west across the Atlantic Ocean in search of new trade routes; and
- WHEREAS, on October 12 of that year, Columbus’ expedition landed in what is today the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, immediately erecting a cross and naming the island San Salvador, in honor of Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World; and
- WHEREAS, Columbus set forth a policy that his men were to treat the native people in the new world with respect and sentenced to death men who disobeyed this order, which resulted in his own arrest and return to Spain in chains; and
- WHEREAS, the 16th century historian Bartolomé de las Casas, who exposed terrible abuses of native peoples, defended Columbus’ motivations saying, “…I knew him well and I know his intentions are good;” and
- WHEREAS, on the 400th anniversary of Columbus’ first voyage to the Americas, Pope Leo XIII reflected on Columbus’ strong Catholic faith writing, “it is fitting that we should confess and celebrate in an especial manner the will and designs of the Eternal Wisdom, under whose guidance the discoverer of the New World placed himself with a devotion so touching,” and ordered the celebration of Solemn Mass of the Most Holy Trinity in honor of the occasion; and
- WHEREAS, U.S. President Benjamin Harrison similarly commemorated the anniversary by declaring a national Columbus holiday that year to provide, “expressions of gratitude to Divine Providence for the devout faith of the discoverer, and for the divine care and guidance which has directed our history and so abundantly blessed our people;” and
- WHEREAS, following this anniversary of Columbus’ voyage, memorials and celebrations in honor of Columbus became popular in the United States as ways to celebrate the Catholic history of the Western Hemisphere and to speak out against anti-Catholicism in the US; and
- WHEREAS, at the height of the nativist and anti-Catholic sentiment of the late 19th century, Columbus was chosen as the Order’s namesake because he was one of the few Catholics considered a hero of American history, and because the founding members of the Order believed the explorer symbolized that faithful Catholics can also be patriotic American citizens; and
- NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Knights of Columbus remains steadfast in its support of Christopher Columbus as our namesake; state and federal holidays established in his honor; and, public monuments and commemorations dedicated to his life and historical contributions; and
- FURTHER RESOLVED, that we commit our prayers for greater civility, peace, and understanding between all peoples to the intercession of our Blessed Mother, Patroness of the Americas, and namesake of Columbus’ lead ship on that historic 15th century journey.
You can link to the full article presented above via one of the following sites. Also, find more about the Knights of Columbus at IWKnights9981.com/bulletin or in facebook.com/IWknights9981 and NOW on Twitter at twitter.com/IwKnights.
Links Related to this week’s column:
The IWKnights passed a resolution to honor, uphold, and defend Christopher Columbus on July 9, 2020, which can be viewed by clicking here.
138TH SUPREME CONVENTION - RESOLUTIONS Resolutions passed at the 138TH SUPREME CONVENTION. By Knights of Columbus (7/31/2020)
- Resolution Of Appreciation To His Holiness Pope Francis
- Response To The COVID-19 Pandemic
- Celebrating The Miracle Attributed To The Intercession Of Venerable Michael McGivney
- In Support Of An Equitable Immigration Policy
- In Honor Of Christopher Columbus
- Abortion And The Eugenics Movement
- In Solidarity With Persecuted Christians In Africa And East Asia
- In Solidarity With Christians In The Middle East
- Commemorating Knights Of Columbus History Of Racial Equality
- Welcoming The French Republic As A Territorial Jurisdiction Of The Knights Of Columbus.........
Click here for Article
Prayer for Protection in Time of Pandemic A Novena which seeks Our Lady’s Intercession for Protection in Time of Pandemic By His Holiness, Pope Francis (3/2020) A PRAYER FOR PROTECTION IN TIME OF PANDEMIC (PDF Version) Click here for the Prayer
Rack-in-the-Back . . . . . . . .
Please shop our book and CD Rack-in-the-Back. Suggested Donation for the CD's is $3.00/title - books on the top shelf are FREE.
We would like to talk with you about becoming an IW Knight. Please visit us on-line at our web site at www.IWknights.com/AboutUs. Or call Rob Schultz at: (314) 973-2373.