Did you know this about the IW Knights of Columbus?
“Forty years ago, Cardinal Karol Wojtyła from Poland was introduced to the world as the third bishop of Rome in one year, taking the name of John Paul II.
Pope John Paul II would serve as pope for over 26 years, the second-longest papacy ever. From the first days of his papacy to the end of his life, the Knights of Columbus had a strong relationship with this modern-day saint.
The following are 5 of 10 facts about that dynamic relationship – next week we will present the remaining five facts.
- John Paul II wrote a handwritten letter to the Knights of Columbus in 2002 that read, “As long as I have breath within me I shall cry out: Peace, in the name of God.” It was included in a 2003 display at the Knights of Columbus Museum titled “John Paul II: A Passion for Peace” and is currently exhibited at the Saint John Paul II National Shrine in Washington, D.C.
- The Knights sponsor the Saint John Paul II National Shrine in Washington, D.C. Learn more and plan a visit to see relics of the saint by visiting our Facebook page.
- The Knights of Columbus has supported three films about the pontiff: John Paul II in America: Uniting a Continent, Liberating a Continent: John Paul II and the Fall of Communism and John Paul II in Ireland: A Plea for Peace.
- The Knights underwrote several major restoration projects at St. Peter’s Basilica during John Paul II’s tenure, including the Polish chapel in the Vatican Grottoes at the restoration of the basilica’s expansive façade.
- John Paul II presented a copper cross held by the statue of Christ on St. Peter’s facade as a gift to the Knights of Columbus Museum in New Haven in 1986.”
Links Related to this week’s column:
- 10 FACTS FOR 40 YEARS: POPE ST. JOHN PAUL II AND THE KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS
Knights of Columbus online article (10/16/2018)
- From the first days of his papacy to the end of his life, the Knights of Columbus had a strong relationship with this modern-day saint....
- KNIGHTS' SUPPORT FOR JOHN PAUL II
Knights of Columbus online article (10/3/2018)
- support of St. Pope John Paul II throughout his 26 year long papacy.....
- 2002 letter from St. John Paul II to SK Carl Anderson about world peace
Knights of Columbus twitter post (12:41 PM - 5 Aug 2018)
- At the
@JP2Shrine, a 2002 letter from St. John Paul II to SK Carl Anderson about world peace! It reads, “As long as I have breath within me I shall cry out: ‘Peace, in the name of God.’” #KnightsCon18 #KofC #Peace
- RELICS OF ST. JOHN PAUL II
Saint John Paul II National Shrine
- THREE FILMS ABOUT ST. JOHN PAUL II
Films that were made about St. John Paul II supported by the Knights of Columbus (10/3/2018)
- John Paul II in America: Uniting a Continent
- Liberating a Continent: John Paul II
- John Paul II in Ireland: A Plea for Peace
Please shop our book and CD Rack-in-the-Back. Suggested Donation for the CD's is $3.00/title - books on the top shelf are FREE.
We would like to talk with you about becoming an IW Knight. Please visit us on-line at our web site: www.IWknights.com/AboutUs. Or call Rob at: (314) 973-2373.